Okay kids….it’s time to laugh, even just a little bit…
How do you know if you are a caregiver?
- If you are buying wipes and you don’t have a baby…..
- If you have dozens of medications in your house and none of them are yours…..
- If you wish some of them were yours…………..
- If, when someone says ‘whine’, you break out a long-stemmed glass……..
- If you get into your car and your car takes you to a nursing home but that’s not where you were going……….
- If you’re so tired that you used Preparation H to brush your teeth before bed….
- If you have dishes in the sink, laundry in the hamper, unpaid bills, and you drop everything to take your Mom to the doctor and the hairdresser and lunch and the bank and the pharmacy and the grocery store and the dry cleaners…….
- If you have on two different shoes…..
- If you just recently started using swear words that never came out of your mouth before….
- If you are so well-versed in medical-speak that they ask you to check on a patient in Room 612 ……..
- If when you say you’re going to the Vet, you don’t mean a place where animals get medical care….
- If you use so many acronyms like HIPPA, AARP, HMO, DME, SNF, OT, PT, ER, that you start spelling your kids’ names instead of saying them….
- If date night is now every Friday night in the Emergency Room….
Check with your spouse, your significant other, your friends, your therapist….you just might be one of us!
“You Just have to Laugh…..”
©2017 Cathy Sikorski
Just as I was sitting down to bring you the next installment of caregiving comedy, my computer decided the last laugh would be on me. Done, died, dead. With no warning, no goodbyes, no fond farewells, just dead.
These two weeks provided lots of time to come up with all the joys that caregivers experience. So in a huge nod to Jeff Foxworthy, I bring you the first installment of:
“You might be a Caregiver……”
- If you know Medicare’s phone number and website without Googling….You might be a Caregiver….
- If your search for an Assisted Living Community for your Mom starts to look like a nice vacation spot for you and your spouse….You might be a Caregiver
- If you cancel your dentist appointment to attend Ice Cream Social Wednesday at your Dad’s nursing home, because you want the ice cream….You might be a Caregiver
- If you know your parents’ Medicare number, AARP number, United Healthcare number but not your own cell phone number…You might be a Caregiver
- If you feel the need to correct WebMD about all the missed additional symptoms of a urinary tract infection….You might be a Caregiver
- If your iPhone calendar has words on it like ‘catheters’, ‘hearing aid’, ‘urologist’, or ‘dentures’…..You might be a Caregiver
- If going to the Emergency Room is like Cheers where they know your first name and how you take your coffee…..You might be a Caregiver
- If you took the black Sharpie to your husband’s underwear to mark it for the wash instead of your Mom’s for the nursing home…..You might be a Caregiver
- If you’ve had more knock-down, drag-out fights with Insurance Companies, Hospitals and Doctor’s office than Muhammad Ali…..You might be a Caregiver
- If everyone around you thinks you are speaking in tongues because you are constantly saying, PT, OT, UTI, or DME….You might be a Caregiver
And this is only the beginning, my friends. After all, this is a new computer, so there’s lots of room for humor here now!
“You Just have to Laugh……”
©Cathy Sikorski 2016