I’m at a girls’ week where the average age is 67.8, okay, a mature women’s week. We are on a beach watching young families, teens and just a sprinkling of our demographic. We are the ones who are talking about these things….. You’ve heard that we can’t hear. You’ve seen where we are squinting at everything. You’ve watched as we fall down, misplace our glasses on our own heads, and look for the mayonnaise, the iPad, and the super-secret book with all our passwords while each one was right in front of us every time.
But I decided we need a twist on aging.
Did you know we have secret skills?
1. We are fluent in a rare foreign language. E-Way an-cay eak-spay ig-pay atin-Lay!
2. We can sing old commercials that were full-length songs:
Does your shoe have a boy inside?
What a funny place for a boy to hide?
Does your shoe have a dog there, too?
A boy and a dog and a foot in a shoe!
Well, the boy is Buster Brown
And the dog is Tige is his friend.
They’re really just a picture
But it’s fun to play pretend!
So…look, look, look
In your telephone book for the store that sells the shoe
With the picture of the boy and the dog inside
That you can put your foot into!
Buster Brown Shoes!
(I did not look that up…and yes, I can sing it.)
3. We have colorful histories about World War II, Korea, the Vietnam War, Woodstock, hippies, The Democratic National Convention…in 1968, life before computers, color TV, telephone lines, ‘party lines’, that you shared with your neighbors (or listened to with your best hold-your-breath-eavesdropping.)
4. Modern kids did not start the drug culture…just sayin’.
5. Today, on National Coffee Day, we too celebrate the joys of coffee that we drank at home for much cheaper.
6. Our music was considered revolutionary, rebellious and obscene….too.
7. We loved long hair on boys, although we, too seem to have forgotten that…… as we used to use Jesus as our answer to all those ‘squares’ who didn’t think long hair was cool.
So ask a person who you think is old this question:
“Can you tell me something cool about when you were young?”
The answer may intrigue and surprise you.
You Just have to Laugh….
©2017 Cathy Sikorski