Well, here we are, the first week of January, where everything changes and becomes new. Where we get to be a whole new person, with a whole new life and whole new ideas about what the next 365 days will bring.
When I thought about that on the scale this morning ( I sure did ‘let it go’ the past two weeks!) I realized this January thing is the same damn thing, every damn year, for the past 300 years for me. And I’d take the wager that most of you feel the same.
So here’s my January suggestions:
- It’s cold. Wear a hat.
- Stay hydrated. Your hands, lips, and skin are begging for water and you don’t drink enough because it’s cold. (Even if you live in a warm climate, do it anyway).
- Read a book. Even a pop-up book is a different experience than a screen. And how fun is a pop-up book? You know you love them.
- Call your Mom, your best friend, your therapist or your spouse for no reason except to say hi. Better yet, take them out for coffee.
- Get some alone time. We all need it. If you get too much, go back to number 4. If you don’t get enough, repeat number 5.
- Dance. I just read where one of my Facebook writer friends has to dance around like a washing machine when she takes her new meds because it will keep her from getting nauseous. Dancing will keep all of us from getting nauseous every time we read the news. So dance like a washing machine!
- Make a list of all the things that you love to do and do more of that….not list making, the things you love to do…unless it’s list making, then do that.
None of this even remotely looks like resolutions or life-changing habits. But as I lather on lotion, dance like a washing machine, while being alone, searching for my hat to go buy a pop-up book and have coffee with some friends, I’ll tell you my list for 2018 already looks pretty darn fun………..that’s a revelation! Which is ever so much better than a resolution.
HAPPY JANUARY……….AND ALL OF 2018 TO COME!
“You Just have to Laugh………….”
©2018 Cathy Sikorski